NGPF Podcast: Dana Miranda on the importance of having a nuanced perspective on personal finance
Wondering what teachers learned after hearing finance educator Dana Miranda share her perspective on personal finance and budgeting culture?
- "Love the perspective of HEALTHY budget!"
- "The concept that there is not one right way to do things in terms of personal finance and how important it is to introduce nuance and discussion of other elements of well-being."
- "This brought more attention about the shame connected to money conversations."
In this NGPF Podcast with Yanely, Dana shares her entrepreneurial journey to starting Healthy Rich, a platform for conversations that illuminate the diversity of our relationships with work and money. She explains why inclusive financial education is so important while also shining a light on the systemic forces that can hinder wealth creation. Enjoy!
- 0:00~0:56 Introduction
- 0:56~2:50 Career path to become a personal finance journalist
- 2:50~5:40 Shift towards personal finance media from finance media
- 5:40~10:12 Early money lessons
- 10:12~13:44 The idea of budget culture
- 13:44~22:55 Impact of the family’s relationship to money
- 22:55~25:54 Parallels with diet culture and budget culture
- 25:54~26:18 A word from NGPF
- 26:18~40:35 To a more nuanced understanding of personal finance
- 40:35~45:21 Importance of personal finance education
- 45:21~50:25 Impact of social media on the personal finance space
- 50:25~52:36 Having meaningful conversations on money
- 52:36~53:54 Conclusion
“Dieting is all about restriction and you can say that out loud and it seems obviously not healthy. And if you replace all those things people are saying about dieting with budgeting and money, that restriction is also unhealthy and unsustainable.”