NGPF Podcast: Dr. Carly Urban on the State of Financial Education in 2022
What percentage of high school students have access to financial education in 2022? Get answers to this question and more in this informative podcast with Carly Urban.
If you ever wondered what the state of financial education is in your county, state or nationally, then there is no better source than Dr. Carly Urban. If you have every taken a look at the Got Finance? map on the NGPF website which tracks information on over 10,000 high schools, you have seen firsthand the handiwork of Dr. Urban and the team at NGPF. In this podcast, NGPF's Christian Sherrill will discuss with Carly the 2022 edition of the State of Financial Education Report. She has lots of great news to share both on the access front as well as her recent research showing the positive impacts of financial education. She will also share what she learned from analyzing implementation practices of this essential course in three states. Enjoy!
- 0:00~1:36 Introduction
- 1:36~8:19 The state of financial education
- 8:19~12:40 Three case studies: North Carolina, Arkansas, and Iowa
- 12:40~17:10 Inequities in access to personal finance education
- 17:10~23:47 Financial education improving financial behavior
- 23:47~28:56 Meta-analysis of the 76 studies
- 28:56~29:19 A word from NGPF
- 29:19~32:25 Cost of adding personal finance as a graduation requirement
- 32:25~34:03 The impact of this research
- 34:03~35:35 FOMO effect of implementing personal finance
- 35:35~36:58 Conclusion
- NGPF State of Financial Education Report
- Dr. Carly Urban Guest post: What happens when states guarantee personal finance for ALL high schoolers?
“We know that the demand [for financial education] is there. If we boil the research down really quickly, you can say that requiring personal finance education in high school improves debt and credit outcomes in the long run and there is no evidence that it keeps them from graduating.”
Inspired to advocate? Be sure to check out NGPF Advocacy tools.