NGPF Podcast: Dr. Page and Bill Dwight on Teens, FinLit Tech, and Parents
Dr. Pat Page, a current classroom teacher, NGPF Fellow, and former State Teacher of the Year, recently completed her Ph.D. and studied the parents’ perceptions of financial technology to support financial socialization and literacy levels. Together, with FamZoo owner Bill Dwight, they shared what they learned, why it should matter to teachers, and how we can apply it to support our own students. They discuss family socialization examples such as students teaching parents and boiling down what parents can teach their kids into one 4x6 index card.
Should parents pay an allowance? Should they pay for chores? Should parents assess fines to their kids for misbehaving? Find out what Dr. Page and Bill have to say!
- 0:00~2:26 Introduction
- 2:26~10:20 Bill and Dr. Page talks about her research
- 10:20~13:38 What kind of financial mistakes do kids make?
- 13:38~16:12 Issues with the gamification of financial apps
- 16:12~24:55 Prepaid cards, technology, and consumer safety
- 24:55~31:04 How FamZoo operates
- 31:04~34:15 The importance of family conversations
- 34:15~39:37 COVID and financial fragility
- 39:37~45:53 How families can teach kids about personal finance
- 45:53~53:32 Using cash versus plastic money
- 53:32~56:55 How to get your kids involved
- 56:55~57:12 Conclusion