NGPF Podcast: Ikenna Okoro provides student perspective on why financial education matters
Listen to NGPF Intern and Columbia University student Ikenna Okoro as he explains why personal finance is so important to him. After his brief interview with Yanely, Ikenna interviews NGPF Payback Challenge winner Nery Rodriguez. When it comes to advocacy, there is nothing more powerful than student voice. Enjoy!
0:36~10:17 Kenna’s Korner Episode 1: NGPF's Yanely Espinal Interviews Ikenna
- 0:36~1:33 What is this podcast about?
- 1:33~2:35 How Ikenna got involved with NGPF
- 2:35~3:20 Ikenna’s background
- 3:20~6:26 Growing interest with personal finance education
- 6:26~10:17 What to expect with Kenna’s Korner
10:17~10:35 A word from NGPF
10:35~26:44 Kenna’s Korner Episode 2: Nery Rodriguez
- 10:35~11:16 Introduction
- 11:16~11:54 Nery’s motivations to choose her major
- 11:54~12:33 Finding out about NGPF
- 12:33~13:48 What is the Payback game?
- 13:48~15:10 Important money skills for teenagers
- 15:10~16:40 Working as a finance intern
- 16:40~19:14 Plans to work while in school
- 19:14~20:37 Money mistakes
- 20:37~22:30 Using the scholarship funds
- 22:30~26:12 Ikenna’s advice for the first year of college
- 26:12~26:44 Conclusion
About the Authors
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
Ren has been working part-time at NGPF since 2014, interning through high school and college. With his knowledge growing alongside NGPF, after graduating from college in 2020, he joined the team to work full-time. He is also the producer of the NGPF podcast. During his free time, he likes to try out coffees from different roasters across the world.
SEARCH FOR CONTENT
Subscribe to the blog
Get Question of the Day, FinCap Friday, and the latest updates from NGPF in your inbox by subscribing today:
MOST POPULAR POSTS