NGPF Podcast: The Math Summer Team Introduces the Math Collection
On this special edition podcast, NGPF Team Member Abby Alcala and NGPF Fellow Tara Kelley (Harwood Union High School) introduce NGPF's new Math Collection. Abby and Tara discuss what they wanted to accomplish with the Math Collection, what teachers can expect from it, and the creative process behind the scenes in order to produce this great resource. (Huge shout out goes out to the entire Math Summer Team, which consists of Abby Alcala, Tara Kelley and JaRhondaLynn Cameron!)
- 0:00~1:15 Introduction
- 1:15~ 3:10 What was the NGPF Team hoping to accomplish with the Math Collection?
- 3:10~4:40 Tara talks about her math teaching experience and how she ties in personal finance
- 4:40~9:56 What can teachers expect from the Math Collection? Is it just for math teachers?
- 9:56~10:16 A word from NGPF
- 10:16~11:23 The creative process behind the scenes - what was it like?
- 11:23~14:38 Tara and Abby’s favorite activities from the Math Collection and why they love them
- 14:38~18:39 Why you should RUN to the NGPF site to check out the Math Collection today!
- 18:39~19:47 Conclusion
- “As teachers, we tell a lot of stories to our students about what pitfalls we would ideally like them to avoid, but these activities put a dollar amount to it. And I also think the situations are really relatable and students will read the activities and say that either they’ve experienced that or that they know someone who did and can put themselves in the shoes of someone making some of those mistakes or who’s just in that situation.” - Tara Kelley
About the Authors
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
Ren has been working part-time at NGPF since 2014, interning through high school and college. With his knowledge growing alongside NGPF, after graduating from college in 2020, he joined the team to work full-time. He is also the producer of the NGPF podcast. During his free time, he likes to try out coffees from different roasters across the world.
SEARCH FOR CONTENT
Subscribe to the blog
Get Question of the Day, FinCap Friday, and the latest updates from NGPF in your inbox by subscribing today:
MOST POPULAR POSTS