NGPF Podcast: The Math Summer Team Introduces the Math Collection
On this special edition podcast, NGPF Team Member Abby Alcala and NGPF Fellow Tara Kelley (Harwood Union High School) introduce NGPF's new Math Collection. Abby and Tara discuss what they wanted to accomplish with the Math Collection, what teachers can expect from it, and the creative process behind the scenes in order to produce this great resource. (Huge shout out goes out to the entire Math Summer Team, which consists of Abby Alcala, Tara Kelley and JaRhondaLynn Cameron!)
- 0:00~1:15 Introduction
- 1:15~ 3:10 What was the NGPF Team hoping to accomplish with the Math Collection?
- 3:10~4:40 Tara talks about her math teaching experience and how she ties in personal finance
- 4:40~9:56 What can teachers expect from the Math Collection? Is it just for math teachers?
- 9:56~10:16 A word from NGPF
- 10:16~11:23 The creative process behind the scenes - what was it like?
- 11:23~14:38 Tara and Abby’s favorite activities from the Math Collection and why they love them
- 14:38~18:39 Why you should RUN to the NGPF site to check out the Math Collection today!
- 18:39~19:47 Conclusion
- “As teachers, we tell a lot of stories to our students about what pitfalls we would ideally like them to avoid, but these activities put a dollar amount to it. And I also think the situations are really relatable and students will read the activities and say that either they’ve experienced that or that they know someone who did and can put themselves in the shoes of someone making some of those mistakes or who’s just in that situation.” - Tara Kelley