It's Tax Time: How About Some Videos To Engage Your Students?
Here are three videos (with three questions for each) that do a good job of engaging your students with a "not so easy to engage" topic:
- PBS 2 Cents Project: How do your tax dollars get spent? [4:34]
- What is the FICA tax that gets deducted from your paycheck?
- How do today's tax rates compare with tax rates over the last 100 years?
- What are the three largest items that get paid from federal income taxes?
Hear Philip and Julia, producers of 2 Cents, on this NGPF Podcast
- Your Tax Dollars At Work from We The Economy
- What are the three areas where most of our tax money goes?
- What areas surprised you the most when it came to where tax dollars are spent?
- What are the heart vs. mind arguments for various federal expenditures?
- If Paychecks Could Talk (National Priorities) [3:16]
- What are the three components of federal income (revenue)?
- What are the three categories of spending outlined in this video?
- What makes up the largest amount of discretionary spending?
- What are examples of how federal spending benefits YOU?
Looking for more videos to engage your students? Look no further than the NGPF Video Library!
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.