Chart of the Week: Trends in Worldwide Population (1950-2050)
Fascinating chart showing trends in world population and predictions for the future (Yale GlobalOnline)
- What are three major trends you can identify from this chart that have occurred between 1950 and 2020?
- Do most of the trends you identified represent improvements in the standard of living around the world?
- What do you see as the most significant change projected to occur between 2020 and 2050?
- One of the changes happening in many developed countries (including the U.S.) is the aging population? What impact do you think that (higher %age of people over 65) will have on the economy?
- Why do you think there has been and expected to be more migration to cities and increased urbanization?
- As an entrepreneur looking at this data, what opportunities do you see in the future? Recall that entrepreneurs are always looking for growing markets...
Thanks to NGPF super intern Ansh for compiling the last 20+ Charts of the Week in this document.
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account