QoD: Which of the following tickets leads to the largest increase in auto insurance premiums: a) Speeding b) Driving under Influence (DUI) c) Not wearing seatbelt
1) DUI ticket leads to a $1,086 increase in annual premiums
2) Speeding ticket increases premiums by $341
3) Not wearing seatbelt ticket increases premiums by $59
- Does information like this make you want to be a more cautious and careful driver?
- Why do you think that insurance companies raise premiums when drivers get any of these tickets?
Behind the numbers (Zebra):
Want to dive in deeper on auto insurance with your students? Check out this Auto Insurance lesson from our Semester Course!
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account