NGPF FinLit Bill Tracker Update (4/5/21)
NGPF FinLit Bill Tracker is a one-stop source for financial education legislation. We rely on publicly available information and news sources. Here's the latest on the 25 states that introduced legislation in the last three months.
Bills in action this week:
- Hawaii: SCR152 to be heard in Senate Education Committee on 4/6/21.
- Bill Summary: URGING THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION TO COORDINATE WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE AND CONSUMER AFFAIRS TO IMPLEMENT A GRADUATION REQUIREMENT OF AT LEAST A HALF CREDIT INFINANCIAL LITERACY DURING THE JUNIOR YEAR OR SENIOR YEAR.
- Kansas: HB2039: added to civics bill; passed by Senate 24-15; next step is bill to be reconciled
- Rhode Island: SB349 and HB5491 will be heard in Education Committee hearings on 4/7/21
- Texas: SB1063 hearing with Senate Education Committee on 4/8/2021
Sessions ended with no action taken on financial education bills
- Georgia: HB681; Bill died in Chamber as legislative session ended
- New Mexico: HB163 tabled as New Mexico legislative session ended 3/20/21
- Oregon: HB3232 pulled from Education Committee agenda scheduled for this week
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account