My Classroom, Episode #6: Speaker Series
The October 22nd Speaker Series marked the conclusion of the inaugural My Classroom Podcast series. The weekly series was 10-15 minutes long and followed the lives and classrooms of four rock star teachers and NGPF Fellows. Each teacher was from a different area of the country, a different type of school, and currently teaching in a different environment (virtual, face-to-face, hybrid) but remain determined to make their learning environment as great as it can be during COVID.
Kerri, Tony, Courtney, and Julius all came together to talk with one another about lessons they have learned this school year. They dove headfirst into a discussion about their greatest moments this year, successful strategies they have adopted, and what they look forward to doing first in their classrooms after Covid. It has not been easy for them, and one of them shared that she nearly hit “send” on a drafted email with her resignation.
We will forever be grateful for their time and giving back to the financial literacy community in this series.
- 0:00~4:38 Introduction
- 4:38~10:45 Lightning round to get to know the teachers
- 10:45~15:00 Best moments of this of the school year
- 15:00~21:32 Most challenging moments
- 21:32~24:45 The differences between Spring and Fall semester this year
- 24:45~27:11 Going from in-person to virtual
- 27:11~34:41 Tools teachers use for virtual instruction
- 34:41~38:25 Favorite personal finance topic to teach
- 38:25~42:26 Getting feedback from students
- 42:26~47:50 Taking attendance virtually
- 47:50~52:09 On Series 2 of the My Classroom Podcast
Catch up one final time with these four, or listen for the first time and find earlier 10-15 minute episodes from the series that pique your interest.
- Episode #1 (13 min) How they are building relationships with their students
- Episode #2 (12 min) How they maintain a healthy lifestyle and manage stress during COVID-19
- Episode #3 (12 min) How they are balancing and helping student balance commitments beyond the classroom
- Episode #4 (14 min) Specific tools they are using in the classroom
- Episode #5 (19 min) Lesson learned this school year